Monday, May 10, 2010

lactose free, the way for me

that's right, i have recently found out that i am lactose intolerant. i am glad i have finally figured out what has been bothering my body for over the past year, but it is a little sad. i used to eat a LOT of dairy.

i actually prefer soy milk so that is not a problem for me at all. thank goodness, because if i couldn't eat my cold cereal... oh man, that would be an issue. eating out has become really tricky though, let me tell you, everything has dairy in it.

my idaho farm heritage might disown me though. when i told my dad, he scoffed and said, "you were a breast feed baby!" so apparently that means i can't be lactose intolerant? hmm... maybe i should tell my doctor that. either way, i think he thinks i am making it up.

but it's all good, just don't try to tempt me with your cheese and milk chocolate. :)

5 comments:

Darren said...

Are you completely unable to eat it or can you have small amounts here and there? 'Cuz that would be devastating if you never ate any of those foods again.

Lauralee Altice said...

My little boy is allergic to milk. He gets hives from it, not very fun! Have you looked into goats milk or rice milk or almond milk? Soy milk has lots of growth hormones and has been linked to breast cancer among other things...it isn't the best alternative.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

yeah, rice milk is good too, but i don't like almond milk. it is too much for me. i never thought about goat milk though... hmm...

Katrina said...

I found some pretty delicious-looking vegan dessert recipes not too long ago. I'll whip you up a dairy-free "milkshake" when I see you in August!

Ducky said...

I totally sympathize! Same thing happened to me during freshman year. There are lactose free milks available at most grocery stores. I did the whole soy milk thing too but really missed the flavor? of real milk I guess. It was totally throwing off the taste of my cereal for me. My bro-in-law uses goat milk, but I've found it's a little on the expensive side.

The national brand is Lactaid, but Western Family also has a skim and 2% version (2% for cooking if you need it). The Western Family brand will usually go on sale at Maceys once a month or so.

And also, if you are just really craving regular dairy treats like ice cream etc. costco sells (though I'm sure walmart etc. would carry a version) of a lactase emzyme 'pill' that helps you digest the lactose. You just take it with the first bite of dairy or right before. Works wonders on your digestive system. It's really chalky though, the taste is kinda like straight up powdered milk. But I found it's totally worth it for some ice cream every now and then! Tums will work in a pinch, though not quite as effective.