Last September I ran the Logan Marathon and although I also enjoyed that experience, this time doesn't even compare with last time. I can honestly say I enjoyed the entire race the whole way. Knowing EXACTLY where I was and EXACTLY how much further I had to go made the world of difference. Yes mile makers are always along the courses, but if you have to make it thought a marathon running mile marker to mile marker, it is going to be a long race. Physically and mentally it was 180 degrees. My body felt amazing the whole time. No blisters, no knee pain, no overly tight muscles, nada. In fact the next day, usually when the real soreness and tiredness kicks in, I didn't even feel like I had ran a marathon the day before. Don't throw tomatoes at me, I really do feel like I got lucky. Though I hope to be able to repeat that experience again. The little soreness I had in my thighs was no more than a good weight training workout.
In training, I learned a lot about what I need in rest vs. training leading up to a marathon. I am a little intense when it comes to working out in general, so you can imagine what I did to prepared for my first marathon. I backed it off a lot for this one (my whole training for this was actually easier than my normal non-training workouts I usually do, so it was like a little vacation), and have found it so interesting in how that affected everything.
Here are some highlights from the day...
-Riding up on the bus to the, who knows where, up by Heber in the dark and talking with a guy who ran the race last year.
-3 mins before the race started... it started raining.
-After the first 7 miles of rain, it started pouring for the next 3 miles.
-The nice water girl who saw me trying to open my gel packet to eat saw that my hands were too numb to get it open. Without even having to ask her she just took it from me and ripped it open with her teeth. She was rugged and I was thankful.
-Getting over the rain and embracing it. Couldn't get any wetter than I already was but it actually was kind of fun. Now I have no apprehension for racing in the rain. It isn't as bad as you might think if you are prepared.
-After the rain finally stopped, seeing Ben at mile 13. Here is a lovely picture in my trash bag. You may be thinking, why are you wearing a trash bag? It is super easy to carry during the race if you are worried about rain. So you can pull it out and put it on fast and then when you don't need it anymore you can just chuck it on the side of the road. Tons of runners wear them in races, it is totally normal I assure you. And awesome! I mean... just look at how cool I look. ;) Don't worry, I got to take it off a couple miles after this and didn't have to worry about rain anymore.
(mile 13)
-It will never get old to me, throwing my trash on the ground when racing. I love it, take a drink and just chuck the cup. Grab another drink and chuck that cup too. Eat a banana piece and just toss the peel. One time you don't have to feel bad about doing that. Don't worry, I don't take all those amazing race volunteers for granted, I think I said about a million thank you's. :)
-Finding out that I make a not so attracive face when I run long distances. It is quite misleading because I was feeling really good the whole time but about 1/2 of the pictures Ben took had me making what I call the "race face." Let's just say it isn't attractive. Basically I am not focusing on what I look like at all so when my facial muscles tense up mixed with breathing through my mouth, it's pretty hot. Anyways, "race face" is now a new term in our house.
-Seeing my parents and Ben and mile 26! I wish I had a picture of them standing on the sidewalk cheering. You never realize how much it means to have support there watching and cheering you on until you have done something like this. It is huge. Whether you have run 15 races or this is your first having support people you love there makes all the difference. Seeing them gave me a jolt of energy to power through the finish.
(mile 26)
(heading to the finish line)
Thanks for coming Mom and Dad! It really meant a lot to me that you came. I know running isn't something that our family is into so it might not have seemed like a big deal to be there, but it meant a ton. Thanks for treating us for lunch afterwards too! Ben couldn't believe me when he asked me where I wanted to go and I said I wanted a big hamburger. Thank you Mimi's Cafe for a lovely BBQ Bacon Burger and fries. It hit the spot!
Ben, as always was amazing! Helping me prep the night before, plotting out where to meet me and being my "aid car" in case I needed anything. He IS the best.
I really loved this experience. I love challenging myself, seeing improvement, learning all the in's and out's of the sport and being surrounded by so many other people who enjoy running as well. I am eagerly looking forward to my next marathon!
7 comments:
All right! good job Holly!
I am sooo impressed. You are a rock star.
Very cool!
way to go i am so impressed:)
Way to go Holley!! Just as amazing as ever! You are so impressive!!!
p.s. still no luck with finding a beautician I like as much as you. =( Sad days. Wish me luck with that...I need it.
Holley, I didn't get you time. Good job. You are now a consummate marathoner. Vance
Holley, I didn't get you time. Good job. You are now a consummate marathoner. Vance
Post a Comment