Sunday, October 05, 2008

so lately i have really been into seeing how healthy i can be when i cook without compromising all the flavor. i personally enjoy eating this way so much better, and ben hasn't had to tell me that i went to far yet, so things are going good. it really is crazy how much healthier you can be if you just think about what you are doing, or different ways or cooking things. or just adding in little extras like protein, wheat germ, flaxseed meal etc. plus all the fresh veggies from the garden, and fruit that i can't stop buying in huge quantities from local farmers markets. ben always gives me a hard time when i truck it all into the house because he doesn't think it will get eaten, but it is always gone before anything goes bad! i don't know what i am going to do when i can't eat fresh mangos, peaches, watermelon, pears and strawberries everyday.

point of this post, is a new recipe that i tried yesterday and really loved. granted the picture doesn't really do them justice, i know it kinda looks crazy but just take my word for it, they are so good! (and good for you)
So here is the recipie!


Bran Flax Muffins (i need to think of a better name for these)
1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 C Flaxseed Meal
3/4 C Oat Bran
1 C Brown Sugar
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 C Shredded Carrots
2 Apples Shredded
1/2 C Raisins (optional)
1 C Nuts Chopped(i used crushed pecans, but walnuts would be good too)
3/4 C Milk
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
*i also added about 1/2 C pumpkin puree, and that helped make them super moist, but you don't have too.

then you bake it at 350 degrees for about 15-20 mins. just make sure you don't overbake them, or they will lose all the moisture which is what makes them so good.

so there is no oil in that recipie which is pretty cool. i just learned that you can substitue flaxseed for shortening or cooking oil in a ratio of 3 to 1. so 1 1/2 cup flaxseed can substitue for 1/2 C butter.

4 comments:

ash said...

These look delish. Where do you find oat bran? flax seed? Probably the store, eh? I've just never purchased these items, but now it's time. Have you ever used apple sauce instead of oil in cake? It's great. I tried using it in brownies once. That wasn't so great.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

you should be able to find them at any grocery store, but health food stores will for sure if not.
yeah, the applesauce it a good idea too.

JoSue said...

i love that you put flowers next to your muffins. Adds a nice touch. :) Please share any recipes with me that are cool like this because I'm totally into it. I have a few cool recipes and I've tried to replace white flour with most whole wheat and it works in most recipes. Except once I did it in a fruit pizza and that was a disaster. We'll need to swap recipes soon!

roxanne said...

First off, pumpkin puree? Sign me up. That sounds amazing. I have totally done the applesauce thing, which I like, but I am all about pumpkin in the fall. Also, I agree that you should continue to post delicious recipes and neat tips for making foods more healthy.